Together with, Ibrahim Hasan and Steve Morris, Sam will deliver high quality training and consultancy services in the field of surveillance law particularly on Part 2 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (Directed Surveillance, Intrusive Surveillance and CHIS).
Sam was formerly Chief Surveillance Inspector with the Office of Surveillance Commissioners for seven years.
The Chief Surveillance Commissioner said of him:
“He is of complete integrity, hardworking, conscientious, highly intelligent and immensely knowledgeable about the law and practice of covert surveillance by public authorities.”
Sam has a unique perspective on covert surveillance law and practice. During 28 years commissioned service, he served for 18 years in military intelligence in staff, operational command and training appointments many in the covert domain.
Sam’s relevant other work experience includes:
- Commanding Officer, Defence Human Intelligence training school
- Editor of the OSC Procedures and Guidance publication
- Speaker (often keynote) at national and local RIPA conferences
- Visiting lecturer College of Policing RIPA Authorising Officer course
- International trainer and consultant, Danish Emergency Management Agency
- Design and delivery of the European Commission civil protection information management and security courses
Sam is currently working with Act Now to develop an online training module for front line staff on covert surveillance and RIPA. We would be happy to hear from any local authorities who are interested in being a test site for this.
Please get in touch if you would like to engage Sam to deliver in house customised RIPA training. With seven years experience of working for the OSC, conducting and coordinating RIPA inspections, he is in a unique position to be able to help your organisation prepare for an OSC inspection.
PS – Don’t forget, the new RIPA Codes of Practice came into force on 10th December 2014. Read more here.